Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I Won the Lottery...

That's how I feel this morning... I am still dazed about what happened last night.

The plan was to meet a friend for dinner and then go together to a knitting session at the Buford library. Here is what happened - just a warning, your jaw might drop to the floor for several reasons. Two of them - my incredible stupidity and carelessness...

We left the restaurant and I somehow totally brainlessly put my wallet on the roof of my car and drove off. I have never done this before and I truly cannot tell you why I did last night. I noticed it was missing when we got to the library parking lot. In addition to the wallet, I put a birthday card my friend gave to me during dinner on the roof of my car.

We went back to restaurant and retraced the path to the library, and found the birthday card on the road. So we figured that the wallet had to be somewhere around there as well, and we looked around for almost an hour, but did not find the wallet. At that point I was honestly too distraught to go the knitting group. My friend made several remarks on my calmness about the situation and she cursed on my behalf. I think I was just a little bit shell-shocked and that why I was so calm and not cursing like a sailor.

So, I took my friend home and called hubby. He met me at the "crime scene of my stupidity" and we looked again together, but didn't find the wallet either. I was still hoping it would show up at some point - you should always have hope, right? I went through all my bags at home and searched the car - no wallet.

So, back at home - it was around 9pm then - I got on the phone with my bank and the credit card companies to get everything reported lost. And I made a list of things I needed to do today - i.e., get in touch with DMVS for my driver's license and INS for my Green Card and a ton of other things. Boy, at that point I was very upset, because I realized what a pain in the neck I created for myself...

And then a miracle happened...

You won't believe this! A little after 10pm, I got a phone call from the Gwinnett Police. Somebody found my wallet and was honest enough (!!!!!!!!!) to give it to a police officer. It was found in a parking lot across the street from where it must have fallen off my car. So, hubby and I went for another drive and retrieved my wallet from a very nice female police officer who waited for us in her cruiser at the place of discovery. And everything was in the wallet, even the cash! I was totally in shock! The police officer gave me the name and phone number of the person who found it. I called her this morning and thanked her profusely. She was very nice. She told me she was glad she could help me and that I got my wallet back. She said she hoped if she ever lost her wallet, somebody would do the same thing for her. HOW WONDERFUL!!!

So, what is the moral of this story???:
a) Very stupid things can happen if you don't pay attention.
b) There are truly some great people on this planet.
c) My brain is not working well when I am on my way to a knitting outing.

And I am still dazed. Man... Can somebody pinch me, please?

5 Comments:

Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Good to know there are still honest people in the world, eh?

I'm glad it all worked out okay. Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just a lesson learned. Mistakes happen.

11:35 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Mouse said...

:pinch.. pinch: lol.. you said we could!
That's excellent.. very happy for you!

1:11 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a happy ending -- so glad it worked out all right for you.

8:25 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jane said...

After our car buying experience, it makes me happy to see you encountered such an honest person. What wonderful luck! Glad you got everything back safe and sound.

11:11 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Diane said...

Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that there are, really and truly, some nice, honest people out there!

Are you going to knit her a little something for a thank you?

9:54 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home