Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Devil Wears Knit

Well - I guess you can figure this post's title out... Yes, I have been to the movies this weekend. Pixie and I watched The Devil Wears Prada on Monday. BTW - The link will take you to the review in Rolling Stone - Peter Travers is my favorite movie reviewer. The movie was great and Meryl Streep was terrific. I was only a little bit disappointed about some parts of the story in the movie because I just read the book. That's all I am going to tell you since I don't want to spoil anything for y'all.

So - now to the real thing - I know why you are here... To read about the Tour de Yarn and the knitting adventures from last weekend... OK - enough with the suspense - here we go!

Five women and their wallets set out on Saturday to visit some yarn stores and have a good time. We - Janice, Julie, Tammy, Pixie and I - met at Cast-On Cottage around 11am. I have never been to that LYS. They have a huge selection of yarn. After browsing for quite a bit and cruising through the store, I settled on a pair of cool purse handles:

Cow Purse Handles from Cast on Cottage

I think I will use them for a felted purse with a cow pattern. Since I love cows and just got a bunch of black wool from Knitpicks, I had such a purse in mind for a while. Now I've got the perfect handles. ;-)

Next stop on the agenda was Strings & Strands. I have been to this LYS before, but the owner changed locations and it was nice to see what her new store looks like. As you can see in this picture, I bought some yarn there:

Yarn from Strings & Strands

I bought Debbie Bliss 100% Silk - it is soooooo yummy. I can't wait to knit with it. It was expensive but totally worth it. I have a tank top in mind. I also bought some hand-dyed silk ribbons for felted purses - I guess you can tell, I am thinking Christmas presents already. ;-) And I bought some very vibrant blue/green sock yarn - it's Great Adirondacks Soxie (100% Merino Superwash fingering weight). And I already fell in love with a pattern for this yarn. Go check out the new knitty.com issue - it's the Reptilian Lace Sock Pattern.

After these two stops, we girls were exhausted and went for lunch at a great Sushi place in Buckhead - Sushi Rock. Very good sushi and pleasant service. Afterwards, with renewed strength, we went on to Why Knot Knit. This LYS was nothing new for me - I usually go to the SNB meeting there on Fridays. But I found something after all - they finally had the Fibertrends Hedgehog pattern. Isn't this little guy adorable?

Fibertrends Hedgehog Pattern from WKK

I see more felting coming...

After the yarn stores, someone had a hair appointment to get her highlights done. Meet Pixie from planet Knitaria. ;-)

Pixie - Knitting under extreme circumstances

And so the rest of us - except Janice, who had to leave us at that point - sat in the reception area and - of course - knitted. Duh... As you can see, we had a great time - no, the laughs are not fake!

Pixie's Fan Club - Knitting at the hairdresser

That was an awesome Saturday - I would repeat it in a heartbeat!

But wait - I did more shopping - don't leave yet.

On Monday - before Pixie and I went to the movies - we had to go yarn shopping. Naturally she knew a great store I have not been to because it is in her part of the woods. So, at Only Ewe and Cotton Two, I found some lovely baby yarn for another cardigan for my niece Julia. As the yarn brand name says "OH MY" - it is supersoft.

Yarn for a baby cardigan from Only Ewe

And then - on 4th of July, hubby and I went to the BBQ at Main Street Yarns & Fibers. We met Anita and had a lovely chat with her about yarn and poetry. She promised to come to one of the SNB-NEGA meetings in the fall. I can't wait to see her again and chat some more. The LYS is huge and I found a bunch of goodies.

Yarn from Main Street Fibers

I bought some yummy Manos del Uruguay 100% wool in some great shades of red for a scarf for me-me-me. And a black sheep tape measure - so my white sheep tape measure has a buddy and they can get into mischief together in my tool box. Hahaha... And I found an awesome deal on Softwist Berroco for a cardigan, again a project for moi. Hubby helped me pick out the colors - I think he's got great taste.

And while I shop in stores, I also shop online... Since my b-day is coming up, I declare all the things I buy at the moment as personal gifts to myself and hey - that's a good excuse, right? You should always splurge on gifts for somebody! :-)))

So, at Knitpicks I got this cool knitting bag with tons of compartments and room for at least 4 projects:

New knitting project bag from Knitpicks

And I got some lovely soap from Mississippi Moon. I found their website through Jen and La's blog. They threw in an extra bar to try - thank you! The soap bars smell lovely - but I have not tried them yet. They asked me to tell all my friends about them - so, I am telling you now.

Mississippi Moon Soap

That's enough for the moment - see how much damage a long weekend can do to your wallet? But you know what? I just love my new stash extensions...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were less than a mile from my house when you were at Only Ewe!

What a stash enhancing holiday. Looks like it was a ton of fun.

3:39 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Diane said...

That's some serious stash enhancement. I'm still looking for the hedgie pattern; eventually I'll find it out in the wild!

6:18 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous purchases--I see lots of inspiration coming down the pike from those!

12:17 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home