Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Getting Older and Maybe Wiser...

I need to rant today about something... You know that I never talk about politics or religion because I don't want to bother or infuriate other people with my opinions and beliefs. But, sorry, the beginning of this post is not about knitting.

I had dinner with three girlfriends last night. It was really nice to see them again, all former co-workers that I have not seen in a while. The food was great - we went to Brio's on Peachtree Street and we had a wonderful conversation until one of them started talking about religion. And here we go... I know better than to do that, and I was the youngest one at the table. I will call them "X", "Y", and "Z" instead of using their real names. To give you some background - I know that X and Y are devout southern Baptists. I didn't know the religious beliefs of Z. So, Z starts ranting about how narrow-minded and blah-blah-blah the other two are and that there is no such thing as Immaculate Conception and that of course there is such a thing as evolution. From there she went on to the Da Vinci Code and all of the facts in the book... I was sitting there and thinking - I need to leave now. I do not want to be part of this. And Z wouldn't stop. So, of course, X and Y got to the point where they felt they had to respond. And I think they had every right to. Finally, they all decided that they would not come to an agreement (and how could they?), but that was after an hour and I was so ready to get my knitting out and disconnect from this stupid situation.

Bottom line - you can't change people's beliefs and you shouldn't try. I don't want to be converted into a Baptist, or a Methodist, or whatever. I was raised Catholic and my parents were very open and let me decide as a teenager what I wanted to do. And I slowly parted with the Catholic church and religion in general because I don't agree with a lot of things. You have to have an open mind - for anything in your life. And if you have a scientific mind, you know that the world was not created in 7 days. I can't really take this literally, but as a guideline. That does not mean that I don't believe in a Higher Power somewhere. But, enough. Sorry about these first few paragraphs... But that was festering in my head all night.

Bear with me - there will be a tiny bit of knitting content at the end of this post. ;-)

I also wanted to tell you - and this kind of fits in the context of letting people be what they want to be - that I find it so weird when I meet new people, and they are shocked when they find out that I am a German Catholic (from a small town in Southern Bavaria) married to a Jewish man who grew up in New York City. Like, how can you??? I'm not going to get into this from a historial standpoint. But, we have a wonderful relationship because we respect each other's background. And neither of us is trying to push the other into a role that doesn't fit. Anyway, I just wanted to illustrate some of our diversity by what's hanging on our Christmas tree. Hubby is buying ornaments like a crazy person - I guess it's the season - and I just wanted to share some of the latest additions.

Just for fun and because we both LOVE South Park, he bought a set of ornaments of the little guys from the TV series opening their crappy gifts.

New Ornaments

He also bought some Jewish ornaments. I think they are just beautiful:

New Ornaments

The Hebrew text on this star translates to:

Blessing for the Home
=====================
Let no sadness come through this gate.
Let no trouble come to this dwelling.
Let no fear come through this door.
Let no conflict be in this place.
Let this home be filled with
the blessings of joy
and of peace.
=====================
J e r u s a l e m

And a Star of David with Choshen stones representing the 12 biblical tribes of Israel:

New Ornaments

The stones translate as follows:

Beryl - communication
Opal - happiness
Garnet - creativity
Ruby - fertility
Onyx - protection
Agate - power and courage
Sapphire - intuition
Topaz - energy
Jasper - body strength
Amethyst - calm
Diamond - purification
Emerald - heart and back

And I have to say all these matter to me very much and I think the blessing expresses what everybody should wish for.

Last, but not least, the promised knitting-related part of this entry: pictures of the Flying Geese scarf. All done - I even had enough of the tri-colored yarn to make a fringe:

Flying Geese Scarf
Flying Geese Scarf

Have a great Wednesday! I am off to the company's holiday lunch at Maggiano's! YUMMY!

11 Comments:

Blogger Pixiepurls said...

oh yay im glad you have that scarf finished finally! Thats so cute with the ornaments, tell irwin ya'll need blue lights on the tree to make it a Chanukah bush LOL!!

12:43 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you about religion and giving people the space to believe what they believe.

As for the ornaments, love them! Especially the one with the blessing on it.

Also, that scarf is absolutely beautiful!

12:43 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree you shouldn't try to change people's beliefs, but I do like discussing religion to learn more about the others. That said, I would only discuss it with/around people that also want to discuss it, and not make someone uncomfortable. Stab 'em with the pointy sticks next time, they'll get the hint :)

I like all the ornaments but have to admit I'm partial to the South Park ones.

1:05 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jane said...

I am with you on your sentiment that everyone should be allowed their own beliefs. And that beliefs about religion and politics should be kept private unless asked for. I really love your collection of ornaments. We used to have an "eclectic" tree, and I still find them to be the best kind - just like eclectic people!

4:08 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Mouse said...

I love the jewish star ornaments.. they are absolutely gorgeous. Do you know where the first one with the prayer on it was bought? I'd love to get one for my sister-in-law and her husband.

5:14 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the icky religious conversation--I hate situations like that for pretty much the same reason you do! The stars are lovely, though, as is the scarf--and lunch at Maggiano's had to be a nice salve for your wounded soul!

10:27 PM GMT-5  
Blogger jenifleur said...

It's something that I've had to relearn after coming back to the south. It's more difficult here to discuss religion than it was in Los Angeles because people hold very strong and often unyielding opinions about it here. So my policy is to not discuss it as well unless someone else has brought it up in a civilized manner first. I don't have the same beliefs that any of my neighbors do, and the policy of just not discussing it seems best. Then again that does get hard when they are badgering you to go to church with them. ;) Forcing any beliefs down anyone's throat is wrong wrong wrong and it doesn't apply just to religion. I'd avoid that particular group of people in future or else make it a condition that everyone avoids flammable subjects.

1:09 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jane said...

You've been tagged! (see my blog)

7:39 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Ann said...

It's nice to discuss religion and politics with others that will discuss it without trying to force their beliefs on you or feeling like your being attacked. If people aren't like that - like your friend sounded she was, it's not going to help or change anyone.
Sorry you had to sit through all that. It would have highly stressed me out also.
Your friend should be careful quoting "facts" from the Da Vinci Code.
Not that I agree or disagree with her, but it is a work of fiction. SHe should do some real research before harping on others.
Love the Hannukah ornaments. My sister just married a guy whose parents are jewish and catholic. I loved the blessings that were read at her ceremony. I would have loved to have family read them at mine. You are right, they are excellent blessings that everyone should be hoping for.
Nice to get acquainted with your blog - can't remember how I got here, but I enjoyed the visit and will return!

7:28 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ornaments are goregeous, and so is the scarf!

Happy holidays :)

7:59 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with your religion comments. I am a practicing Catholic and one place I work is in a Baptist Bible belt area. Needless to say it can get tough. But we all have agreed to disagree on some issues. Tolerence is important. And nothing boils my grits any more then someone saying unless you are with me then you are wrong. oh well.
Just wanted to let you know the pillow you posted in the post before this one. It is amazing.

3:12 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home