Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rain, Rain, Rain... Good Knitting Weather ;-)

As expected, the weather has been really nasty. There was one day so far - Monday - with sunshine. Other than that is has been quite terrible. Cold and rainy... But I am not here to get a tan - for that I would fly to my friend's in the Bahamas to have a beach vacation. Anyway - a good thing about bad weather, one gets a lot of knitting done, ha!

But first - a little update on the travelling.

Leaving Amsterdam was a little troublesome. The plane had a flat tire and we had to wait for the ground crew to fix it. So, my poor nephew (and my sis and her hubby) had to wait a little bit for a quite tired me. Which is understandable since I went 24 hours without sleep. I guess I was just too excited to see everybody.

After a quick stop in Munich, we went to my parents' place. They live about an hour south of Munich in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a little town at the foot of Germany's highest mountains, ~10,000 feet. Garmisch hosted the Winter Olympics in 1936 - OK enough history for now.

After we got to my parents, I drove with them to visit my bro, his wife and the new baby. My little niece is very, very, very, very, very cute. I took a bunch of pictures. Sorry, all the pix have to wait until I get back to the US - be patient with me. My sister-in-law loved all the stuff I knitted for my little niece. She'd better! ;-)

Sunday was very quiet and I did a lot of catching up with my parents. Mom and I got a bunch of knitting done - gee, what a surprise! ;-) I finished the first sock and also the second scarf with the Knit Picks Vacation yarn. I gave the scarf to Mom. Originally I planned to make her a scarf from the Rowan Haze I brought with me but Mom can't have mohair on her skin - it gives her a terrible itch. Darnit... There goes the nice lace scarf for her. Oh well, I guess I'll have to use the Rowan for a scarf for me now. Sorry Mom, I tried to spoil you... I also found the mistake on the lace baby blanket. One yo (yarn over) was missing and screwed up a whole row. Thankfully, I found it pretty quickly and had to rip back only a few rows.

On Monday, Mom and I made a trip to the new yarn store. OMG - I bought so much stuff... I got really embarrassed in front of my mom. I bought yarn for four sweaters and four pair of socks. I might go back and buy some more (without Mom). The store had some totally incredible deals. For all the yarn I bought on Monday, I paid only about $90 incl. taxes. Can you believe it?

Monday afternoon I spent some more time holding my niece for a few hours. Ask me if I care if she gets spoiled while I'm here. Hehehe...

Yesterday - Tuesday - a girlfriend from Munich came to visit and we spent a lovely evening together with good food and wine at a local Italian restaurant, yummy! ;-) We had a lot of catching up to do. About 2½ years... We email and talk on the phone every once in a while, but it is always different in person.

Tonight I'll see my siblings, nephew and niece at a friend's place (who is also my sister-in-law's sister - yes, I come from a small town and everybody is related - NOT!). We planned a BBQ, but I think it is going to be more like a cook-in than a cook-out since it is still raining.

At least I'm getting my knitting fix over here as well! And I'm catching up on sleep. So far Mom has allowed me to help her with the dishes once(!). She keeps throwing me out of the kitchen with the excuse that I'm on vacation. Gotta love the Mom! ;-)

Hope my vacation stories are not too boring. Miss y'all :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Not boring at all! I'm glad you're having such a great time. We miss you too - better bring all that yarn with you for show and tell!

9:19 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Mouse said...

I hear that its rather hard to leave Amsterdam ;) I also had the same mental image as Janice.. pulling the spare tire off the underside of the plane and jacking it up.. lol. Yarn shops huh? If you run into any Opal Rainforest Sock-Tiger, can you bring me back a skein? Glad you're having a good time shopping & with family!

10:38 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia - would you the comment in german or in english. Anyhow as this blog is english ....
What a pity that you are not around here in July when we celebrate out 20th anniversary leaving school. Would have loved to see you there. Hubert

9:25 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

missed a word in the first sentence ;-) .... like .... - just fill it in

9:26 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home