Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Friday, June 02, 2006

Overseas Knitting Adventures

OK - and now, here is the knitting update from my trip to Germany.

Since I missed way too many SNB knitting meetings, Mom and I did an impromptu SNB meeting Sunday morning and here is the knitting mess our 2-person group created:

SNB in Garmisch
My Dad's comment about adding Bavarian authenticity to this SNB meeting - he knows that Mom and I have the stitch and bitch part down pretty well - was that to make it real Bavarian looking, we should put roasted pork chops, dumplings and beer on the table as well. No thanks Dad... I can't even remember when I last had pork.

I worked on the drop-stitch tank top from the Stitch'N'Bitch Nation book. The fun part - making the stitches drop on purpose. Weeeeeeeee... And I started the back piece - back to boring, just stockinette stitch... Mom worked on the finishing touches for a beautiful vest for herself. She added a crocheted border (simple crochet and shrimp stitch). That is her favorite finish for armholes on vests and tank tops and antidote for curly edges.

Anyway - then on Monday Mom and I invaded one of the local yarn stores. This is what I bought on the first trip.

Yarn purchase
I bought yarn for four sweaters and 4 pairs of socks:
Schachenmayr Nomotta Goa – 60% viscose, 40% polyamide (color: lilac)
Schachenmayr Nomotta Bandolero Color – 100% polyamide (color: silver/black)
Famos Paris – 80% cotton, 20% rayon (color: light green)
Stahlsche Wolle Barolo – 100% cotton (color: jungle/green)
Regia Cotton – 4-ply – 41% wool, 34% cotton, 25% polyamide
Regia Nation Color – 4-ply – 75% wool, 25% polyamide (2 balls make 1 pair of socks)
Of course I had to get the German flag colors.
Schoeller Stahl Fortissima Socka Cotton – 45% cotton, 42% wool, 13% polyamide

This whole heap of yarn only cost $90 incl. taxes. Isn't that amazing? The sock yarn was $7. If I remember correctly, I bought Schoeller Stahl Fortissima Socka Cotton here at a LYS for $12 or $14. The sweater yarns were all €1 a ball incl. taxes which is about $1.30. So, all-in-all good yarn hunting. ;-)

And then I went back with the intention to buy more yarn. I went by myself because Mom was already totally embarrassed that I bought so much yarn during the first trip. I am sure she wondered if her daughter had a serious addiction problem... So when I went back, I only bought more sock yarn. I kind of remembered that I still had soooo much more yarn waiting in the closet in Georgia to be knitted up.

Yarn purchase2
More of the Regia Cotton – 4-ply – 41% wool, 34% cotton, 25% polyamide
Regia - 4-ply – 75% wool, 25% polyamide
Schoeller Stahl Fortissima Socka Colori – 75% wool, 25% polyamide
Schoeller Stahl Fortissima Socka – 60% wool, 40% polypropylene

So - another 7 pairs of socks for $35... Good deal!

And of course, Mom caught me walking in the door with the bag. She is so funny. She suggested that - since I am so into sock knitting again - she could use sock yarn as padding/packaging material whenever she sends hubby and me a package. Great idea! I only need to tell her what yarn and color. Yay! Mom - the enabler! ;-) And of course, she offered to knit the socks as well since I am so busy all the time. She figured I could knit something else instead.

She also asked me to bring her some cotton yarn from my stash and she would knit me a cardigan. Here is what she started while I was there.

Green cable cardigan
After a while Mom decided that she would like it better if she used a needle one size bigger, so she ripped the whole thing. I don't know how she does it - I get pretty mad when I have to rip something. Arrg... She started over and decided to knit the fronts and the back all in one piece. Now I know where my urge comes from knitting everything together and have a ton of stitches on the needles... More arrrg...

Oh, and before I forget. Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while might remember that I felted a vest for my Dad for his birthday in March. Here is the vest on da’ man:

Papa mit Veste
Fits pretty good. I was worried that I shrank it too much while I felted it. And, the truly good thing – Dad really likes the vest. I just love it – knitting stuff for people you love and they wear it, too.

And since I finished the Mountain Color socks and bought so much sock yarn, I figured I could start another pair. This time – since it is already superhot in Georgia – with cotton yarn. I liked the Crusoe sock pattern from knitty.com and here they are:

Crusoe Sock2

Crusoe Sock
I also swatched the jungle yarn for a tank top pattern from the German knitting magazine VERENA:

Baendchen Garn2

Baendchen Garn
And I almost finished the lace baby blanket. I ran out of yarn in Germany. But, prepared me, luckily have more in my stash. I actually brought an extra skein, but Mom really liked the yarn, so I gave it to her and she will knit something for Julia, my little niece - Mom's first granddaughter! ;-)

Oh – and here are some of Mom’s potted flowers. Very hardy plants that grow on her little balcony:

Mom's flowers

Mom's flowers9

Mom's flowers10

Mom's flowers2
Dad had to cut a branch of a lilac bush in the yard and filled the living room with lilac for Mom - nice guy, hm? Lilac (or syringa) is my all-time favorite:

Mom's flowers4
OK, that was a lot posting. I need something to drink now...

2 Comments:

Blogger Pixiepurls said...

I spot some very pretty green and white sock yarn :) HAH!

9:20 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Pixiepurls said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home