Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

Ready for the weekend...

I am soooo ready... Somehow this week flew by and the weekend is around the corner.

In case you noticed the countdown clock - I am getting ready to book my flight to Germany. I will visit my family for a bunch of occasions coming up in May. My niece Julia - the one I am knitting the baby stuff for - is supposed to arrive on April 11. Then there is Mother's Day on May 14 and my sister-in-law's birthday on May 16. And I also want to check in on my Dad and his recovery from surgery.

Hubby had a birthday on Tuesday. I went home early, made him suffer opening a bunch of silly presents and hopefully a few good ones. He claims that he liked all of them. ;-) He wanted a home-cooked meal - thinks my cooking is better than dragging him to a restaurant - my kind of man. So, we had grilled flounder, fresh spinach with lots of garlic and baked potatoes. And we watched one of his b-day gifts - a Woody Allen movie - Anything Else. It was very funny. We love Woody Allen - such a neurotic New Yorker. ;-) Watching him makes you feel like a "normal" person. ;-)

My Dad's birthday was on Wednesday and I called Germany. Unfortunately his birthday gift did not arrive in time. Boo-hoo... I know, all my fault. I dilly-dallied around too much trying to find the right closure for his felted vest. Oh well - luckily my Dad knows me and my tendency to finish things at the very last minute. Just like my mom. I don't know how many late evenings she spent in her life finishing a sweater, a pair of socks, a cross-stitch project for somebody's birthday the next day. I guess I can blame that on the set of genes I got from her.

Last night was the first session of my sweater class. The four women were all prepared, had their swatches ready and we measured and calculated - almost like mathematicians - not really... But they had no idea how much math is involved when you have to adjust your gauge to the pattern you want to use. It went well and everybody went home with their first few rows for the back piece and a bunch of homework.

Nothing much planned for this weekend - maybe some yard work... Since spring is rolling in, the first armada of weeds hit the front lawn and it needs to get cut. I am hoping to find a new lawn service soon... We had one last year, but because of the high gas prices the business closed down.

I just found this funny joke on the internet - has to do with knitting, of course:

Knitting Chinese Many years ago my wife was to knitting what Tiger Woods is to golf. She designed exotic patterns with ease. There was an occasion when we had lunch in a real Chinese restaurant (only one person spoke partial English, all menus were in Chinese). When she saw the hand-written menu she was so impressed with the calligraphy she tucked the menu in her purse. Some months later I saw the result, a stunning white sweater with Chinese symbols hand-stitched down the front. She received compliments galore until one cocktail party when we met a distinguished Chinese physician who asked my wife where she got the symbols. He then wanted to know if she knew what they meant. "I'm afraid to ask," she said, "but tell me anyway." Even she had to laugh when he told her they read, "This is a cheap dish--but good."

And what is going on in my little knitting paradise?

I started the Mid March KAL with the Monthlydishcloths. I am using a variegated cotton yarn that looks like Easter colors. The pattern is interesting - it involves short rows.

I am working on a baby cardigan - well, guess for whom... Julia will probably have several knitted outfits for every day in her life since she has two crazy knitters in her family, a grandmother and an aunt ;-) Jane from my Wednesday SnB Knitting group worked on that cardigan pattern one night and shared the pattern. Very cute - I am using yarn that we don't speak of (shhhh... don't tell anybody, it's acrylic)... But you know what - that is just fine because it'll probably have to deal with a lot of baby spit...

Jane also pointed me to a fabric store where you can buy wonderful buttons - had to spend some money there:


One of the buttons went straight onto a felted purse:


I finished three dishcloths this week - I have to take a picture of the third one sometime this weekend:




And I felted a new handle for the dreadlock bag - now I can live with the bag - and Noah can, too:


Off to the weekend now. More next week - since I rarely touch the PC over the weekend. Too many other - more interesting - things to do...

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Everything looks great! You are one fevered knitter!

Have a great weekend and hope to see you next Wednesday.

12:58 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home