Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Friday, September 22, 2006

Spin, Claudia, Spin

OK - here we go... I have to make a confession. I am a WEAK woman. I stopped singing "La-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" and let Pixie show me how to spin. So, there. I did it and now I've told you about it.

Wanna see pictures, dontcha? I thought so...

Pixie got me started on the spinning wheel first - a Lendrum Original Spinning Wheel. First she let me pedal a while to get the feel of it. But, oh boy, I am such a spaz... Don't ask me to do different things with my hands and my feet at the same time... Then she let me try a couple of different rovings, first a Moorit English Wool Top and then a Coopworth.

First Try on the Spinning Wheel First Try on The Spinning Wheel

AND because I wanted to know everything (and needed a break from spinning on the wheel), Pixie also showed me how to spin with a drop spindle. And, again, she took pictures...

Drop Spindle - First Try Drop Spindle - First Try Drop Spindle - First Try Drop Spindle - First Try

That was a lot of fun. Pixie said I did good because I didn't drop the spindle, but it's a drop spindle (ha-ha-ha). ;-)

Soooooooooooooooooooo - guess what... Pixie's Lendrum was for sale. Not anymore... I bought it from her and asked her if she can live with the responsibility of creating a monster... Also, if she is aware that I will haunt her with all kind of questions and never-ending requests for lessons for the rest of her life.

I HAVE TO SAY - she is a wonderful teacher. She was very patient and her explanations made a lot of sense and she is very good at show & tell.

So, these are my first spinning results from the spinning wheel:

First hand spun yarn on the wheel

On the left is what I spun when I tried it for the first time. On the right is what I spun with the wheel after taking a break and trying the drop spindle.

And here is my first hand spun yarn with the drop spindle:

My first hand spun yarn on the drop spindle

So, now my head is spinning (pun fully intended). Pixie sent me home with the wheel, 6 bobbins, a Lazy Kate, and a shipload of roving. She is so generous!!!

My new toy!!!

The wheel is in pristine condition - it looks like nobody's ever touched it. But I know Pixie has been spinning with it for quite a while. I have some of her gorgeous hand spun yarn at home.

Roving - Gift from Pixie

Clockwise from upper left: Fawn Alpaca/BFL, White Coopworth, Moorit English Wool Top, Olive Green Corriedale, "Star" Coopworth, "Rainy Day" Spanish Fine

OK - I am in good shape with my Christmas knitting... That's my excuse for all this and I am sticking with it. Tho' - I feel like my own mom. I made a deal with myself that I have to clean up my crafts room this weekend. Otherwise I am not allowed to play with my new toys!!!

Have a great weekend - maybe I'll see you knitting somewhere?

5 Comments:

Blogger Pixiepurls said...

awe!!! :) your so nice im BLUSHING!!!! You did great!

5:12 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe! I knew you'd join us sooner or later! ^-^ I'm so glad you got to start off with such a nice wheel and a good teacher!

5:16 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Mwahahahahaha! You have been assimilated! Resistance is futile. Hee hee!

Looking good, welcome to the fold.

7:44 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Mouse said...

Hee hee.. come to the dark side Claudia.. we have cookies.. Yay for another spinner in the group! I think you'll get a lot of use out of that Lendrum.. plus you got a heck of a deal.

10:09 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jane said...

See, I told you that you would be sucked in! hee hee Your yarn looks great!

2:40 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home