Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Monday, September 25, 2006

Knit, Claudia, Knit

... So you've got time to spin!!! MUAHAHAHAHA... I've gone over to the dark side now - and am looking for the cookies ;-) Where are they, Mouse? But I think I need to practice a lot more before I deserve cookies. :-)

So, I did what my spinning teacher told me. While hubby and I watched an old movie - Rio Bravo - on Sunday, I practiced pedaling my spinning wheel and knitted at the same time. NOW THAT IS MULTI-TASKING! And since I cleaned up my room, scrubbed the front porch (now it's not green anymore but bleached white) and did three loads of laudry, I allowed myself to spin some of Pixie's roving.

I filled three bobbins with the White Coopworth. It went pretty well. I was surprised how much the pedaling practice helped - but I am still a long way from good and even spun yarn. I spun the yarn on the left bobbin first, then the one in the center and then the right:

Spinning Wheel efforts - 09/24

Hubby sat with me for a while and we chatted while I spun - very relaxing. He was amused how roving turns into yarn. A simple but very creative process.

And the puppers watched, too. At some point Hermione had a sneezing fit - I think she sniffed at the roving a little too long. ;-)

Hermione watching Mommy spin Noah watching Mommy spin

After I finished all the White Coopworth, I gave the drop spindle another try and used some of the "Star" Coopworth - it's all greens and blues.

Drop Spindle Efforts - 09/24

Too bad I missed the sheep shearing at Wauka Farms last Saturday. If you want to know how it was, go to Pixie's blog. She actually filmed one of the sheep getting fleeced. Very cool!

SO, I guess I will have to rename my blog... Knitting & Spinning Without Doghair is Not an Option. I really like spinning. But that does not mean I will give up knitting - no way!

Besides the spinning and the cleaning, I also...guess what?...knitted this weekend.

I decided that I will turn my Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole into a poncho. For one thing, I think I will wear a poncho more than a stole that I have to drape around myself. And it would take much longer to knit the stole, since I have a bunch of more pressing projects. Also, I want to wear the poncho (née stole) at SAFF (which is only 31 days away - YAY!), so time is of essence. But what's new about that? This is a close-up of the pattern. I am using Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed.

Entrelac Poncho - Close-up

To make the poncho I will knit two rectangles (34x18 inches) which I'll sew together as follows and add a fringe. Pretty easy-shmeesy! ;-)

Poncho Chart

Speaking of which, here is a current update on the Christmas gift list (I actually have a spreadsheet - makes the math easier and will let me keep track of when I sent what, etc.):

12 completed
6 under way
10 more not yet started

I started one of the two back pieces for the Menorah Pillow. This is great knitting for a group outing - no more cables. Just plain old double moss stitch:

Menorah Pillow - Back Piece No. 1

I also started the "hat from hell" again - this is my third try. Now there is a thought - I should put all the trials on the spreadsheet. Or maybe not, that could be depressing... I finally found a couple of fairisle patterns I like in one of knitting pattern books.

Another try on the Hat from Hell

It looks a bit funny now - but I will fold in the bottom half (all blue). Two good reasons - you can't see the back of the fairisle and it keeps the ears extra warm. After the fairisle, I will probably add some cables for the crown of the cap.

I also started another Christmas gift - the Drop Stitch Shawl from Knitpicks. I figure I should finish this shawl in a week or so... Dangit - I am not on top of all my deadlines. But it knits up fast...thankfully.

Drop Stitch Triangle Shawl

Yarn: Knitpicks Getaway (35% Tactel, 35% Nylon, 18% Cotton, 12% Acrylic)
Color: Watermelon
Needles: US #9

It's a very soft yarn - I have used it for a shrug before.

Enough for a Monday - have a great week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pixiepurls said...

hey that drop spindle spinning looks really good, that roving is very good to be able to telk because of the contrasting colors. Doesn't look overspun at all!!

4:19 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Mouse said...

hee hee hee.. Assuming I ever get to come to SNB again, I'll bring you some cookies woman!
your spinning looks great and so does your Lady Eleanor!

9:28 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Deborah said...

Wow spinning and knitting, impressive!

You commented on my aqua and red tote over on the iteII site. I sort of made up the pattern. Email me and I'll send you the basic pattern, I'm sure you can add your own flaire here and there like I did.

7:14 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home