Knitting Without Dog Hair Is Not an Option

Hi there - My name is Claudia. I live with my hubby and our two furry kids in Georgia, USA. Originally I am from Germany - southern belle from Bavaria replanted to the Southern US. I am very addicted to knitting - 4-5 projects going at the same time... What can I say...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peckerwood, Georgia, United States

Friday, September 29, 2006

Not So Rapidly Transiting After All...

OK - I thought I'd give you an update on my adventures with public transportation. Everything went absolutely wonderfully Wednesday afternoon on my way home. The bus was extremely fast - in comparision to the crawling cars - and I was really in awe at my luck in finding out about the Express bus line.

So, Thursday morning I was back on the bus. Everything went well - I got a ton of knitting done. But when I got to the MARTA station to take the train, they were announcing over the speakers that my train would be 20 minutes late due to mechanical problems. Oh well, I thought, it didn't take long to make me less ecstatic, did it?

BUT - another train was due to arrive in 2 minutes. And I decided to take this train. It would go to the Lenox station instead of the Buckhead station and I figured I'd have to walk a little longer, but it shouldn't take me much longer. I didn't like the idea of hanging out at the train station for 20 minutes and then maybe find out that there would be more delays.

One should not guess distances if one has only been in an area by car... I also guess my brain was impaired because I hadn't had coffee yet. Instead of 20 minutes I walked for 45 minutes - DUH... But at least, I got some exercise in, right?

So, in the morning I had to deal with mechanical problems. And in the afternoon I had to deal with athmospheric problems. Shortly before I planned to leave the office to walk to the train station, it started to pour. You'd have thought somebody opened the sky and water came just gushing out.

YIKES! I had thought about keeping a little foldable umbrella in my backpack, but of course in the state my brain usually is in the morning, I never remembered one. I don't mind walking in bad weather. I am very used to it from living in Germany for so long. But I mind having to stay soaked. Happily, one of my co-workers gave me a lift to the bus station - so I did not even have to deal with the train/bus change. I was at the bus station way early and sat on a bench knitting away when it started to rain again. AND. IT. HAILED. TOO. Holy cannoli... I hadn't been outside when it hailed in a long time. It was pretty neat sitting under a big covered area watching the rain and hail coming down. Then 2 minutes later the sun was out again...

Amazingly the bus ride was - again - only 35 minutes. I would have had a ride from hell on the highway with all the bad weather. So, all in all, I am still in love with my newly found transportation. ;-)

AH-H-H - and I wanted to show off the cutest thing I have knitted in a while.

Meet the YULETIDE GNOME!

Noah and the gnome
Noah & Mr. Gnome (reminds me of Mr. Hand - ha-ha-ha...)

Hermione and the gnome
Hermione & Mr. Gnome
(doesn't she look like she's thinking "who the hell are you"?)

Our woofmodels - as Janice calls her dogs - were very cooperative this time. Actually Noah is always good, I guess because he doesn't care much what you do as long as you don't startle him. He is still a bit skittish and we've had him now for almost 2 years - we got him in January 2005. The circumstances are enough for an entire blog entry.

And Hermione usually is a terrible woofmodel. I always feel like I have to stalk her. But I discovered that I can trick her. HAH! She loves to play with her green rubber ball, so if I hold the ball while taking a picture, she sits still because she thinks I am going to throw the ball for her. Which I do - OF COURSE after taking the pictures.

OK, time to get ready for the weekend. I am looking forward to some knitting at my Friday SNB group with wine and snacks! Have a good one!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So is there a site for the Gnomes??? I would like to have it if there is. Please send to ensatia4u@Aol.com

12:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Pixiepurls said...

Such a cute gnome!!

7:49 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi! I stumbled onto your blog from the Monthly Dischloth KAL. Your gnome is insanely cute! Is it your own pattern? Soooo adorable! I've never heard or read the expression "holy cannoli" before.... except that it's a yummy delicious pastry shop in my city, specializing in cannolis, of course.

1:26 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Is it possible to get a copy of your pattern for the gnome?
I've been looking everywhere for the pattern but no luck!!!
Please let me know and I will send you my email address.
Thanks

2:05 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hey anonymous - email me at claudias_knitted_treasures at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

2:15 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home